What are important fly facts you need to know?
Flies in Singapore are a nightmare to deal with, especially for people in the food industry. But flies are also commonly found in homes. To get a better idea of what you’re dealing with, here are some interesting and important facts about flies you need to know about.
- There are four types of flies that you can find in Singapore. These are house flies, fruit flies, drain flies, and bluebottle flies. Though each of them has its own unique characteristics, they all inhabit unsanitary places and feed off any food they find.
- Flies are often active in the daytime and rest during the night.
- They reproduce in great numbers. They can lay as many as 100 eggs, which can hatch anytime between 12 and 24 hours.
- They are a carrier of harmful diseases and can spread bacteria to the public.
- Flies have a lifespan of 30 to 60 days.
- They have compound eyes, which means that flies are sensitive to slight changes in light. This might prove difficult when trying to catch them because little movements and a simple play of light and shadow can quickly drive them away.
- House flies enter your home through open windows and doors, and they use their sense of smell to locate food sources.
What attracts flies to your premises?
Food supply seems to be the number one factor that attracts flies to your homes. Due to their strong sense of smell, they are attracted to odours that signify either food or shelter. These include the following:
- Garbage, trash cans, and food waste that contain rotten food such as meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Sewers and drains where they can hide, dwell and breed.
- Ripe fruits on your kitchen counter and freshly-washed vegetables
- Dead pests, insects, faeces, and carcasses that are not yet removed
Food left on countertops or tables that are not properly sealed also attracts flies alongside other pests. As such, the best tip to discourage flies from entering your home is to keep all food in airtight containers, so the smell does not waft around the surrounding area, attracting flies to your home. Likewise, it’s advisable to do your daily chores such as sweeping, mopping, and disinfecting as these remove traces of food in your house, therefore, effectively keeping flies away.
What are infestation signs to watch out for?
If you notice one or two rogue flies roaming around your home, it doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s an infestation. However, it is a warning sign for you to take precautionary measures to keep flies at bay.
To know if you’re suffering from a fly infestation and require drain flies control services, here are some telltale signs you can watch out for:
Flies excrete constantly, but of course, it’ll take a lot of flies to have noticeable signs of droppings. Look at overhead structures like ceilings and wall surfaces to see if there is a cluster of dark spots in sight. Other areas where flies dwell might also show signs of droppings. For this, you can check drainages, sink areas, and cracks on the floor.
When you see swarms of flies flying over garbage cans, gutters, waterlogged potted plants, or other sources of water, it may indicate severe infestation. Likewise, it can inform you of their breeding location.
Similarly, finding maggots are signs of their potential nesting and breeding grounds. When you see maggots in your home, be sure to call an expert immediately to eliminate them before they grow into adult flies.
What are infestation signs to watch out for?
Now that you know how they can gain entrance to your home or commercial space, it’s time to take precautionary measures to avoid attracting these pests inside your space. Here are some helpful tips you can follow to do just that:
Because flies have compound eyes, they are sensitive and attracted to light. Light traps are essentially lightboxes that draw flies into them. Once flies go nearer. The box will emit an electrical wave that will zap trapped flies, thereby killing them in the process.
These traps are strips of paper that can be hung on walls or placed on flat surfaces throughout the house. With its sticky material, it can catch flies and prevent them from flying around.
Alternatively, you can create a home remedy using vinegar and dish soap to trap flies. The scent of the vinegar will attract the flies, and the dish soap will sink the flies, eventually drowning them in the mixture.
These store-bought alternatives and home remedies are useful are not effective and, do not provide a permanent solution. For instances of severe infestation, you need to call professional flies control services.
Avalon Services is a well-reputed pest control company that offers sustainable fly control solutions. We guarantee a safe procedure with all our treatments and maximum results to ensure that the pest problem is addressed accordingly. Enjoy a fly-free home when you partner with Avalon Services.
Contact Us Now!!!